Tuesday, April 19, 2011

What Is "HOLY"?


As I write this we are about halfway into what is known as “Holy Week.” But I wonder how many of us really understand what “HOLY” means? Do I understand the true meaning of holiness? This Spring I celebrate 37 years as a child of God; I can honestly say that I am still learning to live a holy life.
Ho´ly - Set apart to the service or worship of God; hallowed; sacred; reserved from profane or common use; holy vessels; a holy priesthood. (www.webster-dictionary.net)

Related Words – Christ-like, God-fearing, chaste, clean, faithful, glorified, good, hallowed, holy-minded, just, loving, merciful, pure, pure in heart, spiritual-minded, unsullied, untainted (These are just a few of many.)
1 Peter 1:14-16:  14As obedient children, not fashioning yourselves according to the former lusts in your ignorance: 15But as he which hath called you is holy, so be ye holy in all manner of conversation; 16Because it is written, Be ye holy; for I am holy. 

As Christians we are to be Christ-like. According to www.webster-dictionary.net, the definition of a Christian is one who believes, or professes or is assumed to believe, in Jesus Christ, and the truth as taught by Him; especially, one whose inward and outward life is conformed to the doctrines of Christ. Understanding that the Christian walk is an on-going, growing process, we should be more like Christ today than we were when we first believed. If we are not then we have become stagnant, inactive, and dull.

I grew up in Florida so I know a thing or two about stagnant water due to all the swamps and retention ponds seemingly everywhere. It its stinky.  It is musty.  It is dirty.  It breeds disease-born critters. It isn’t going anywhere. It is not a pleasant place to be. And eventually, if continued rain does not come to refill it, it dries up.

Contrast that to an ocean or a flowing river and we see a completely different outcome. The movement of the water is calming. It is refreshing.  The ocean tides purify the shore as well as the ocean itself. The air around them seems so clear, fresh and clean. Both have movement and freedom. Both are places where people want to be; they are enjoyable.

All are set apart if you will: the stagnant water in its place, the oceans and rivers bound by the shore. Yet it is what they are doing, or not doing, that makes all the difference.

The same can be said about our walk with the Lord. Christians, who have stopped trying to become more Christ-like, holy, set apart for use by the Lord, become like stagnant swamp water. They are not pleasant to be around. Their lives are full of unrepented sins. They spread diseases such as anger, bitterness, and hatred among others. They rely on being fed by others, satisfied with their condition until eventually they are dried up.

However, Christians, who are striving to be Christ-like, holy, set apart for use by the Lord, are like the oceans and rivers. They are a joy to be around. While storms may come which affect their lives, they still trust God to get them through. They have freedom in their Christian walk and yet at the same time recognize their boundaries.

Holiness is a great and awesome thing. Holiness is to set ourselves apart from the world and the things that are in the world.  I don’t claim to be perfect.  I can’t claim to know the right and wrong thing to do in every situation.  But, I can read my Bible. I can take time to truly STUDY God’s Word and not just give it a cursory glance as I read through a Bible reading plan or a devotional written by a fallible man or woman. I can compare all things that I do, see, hear and read with the absolute truth of God’s Word. I can pray. I can ask God to show me personally through His Word how He would have me to live, what He would have me do, and for the understanding and grace to teach it and live it.

As we focus on the cross during this Holy Week, let us think also about the reason it is called the “HOLY” Week. Jesus Christ was set apart so that He could die on that cross for you and me. The least that we can do for Him is to try to live holy lives.

Romans 12:1, 2 1I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. 2And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.




No comments: