Monday, August 20, 2012

Looking at the Flip Side: Love and Hate

In reading our Bible we often read simply to check off an item on our "to do" list for the day. We don't allow God's holy Word to penetrate our mind or our heart. We don't mull over, digest, or discern a larger meaning. Take 1 Corinthians 13:4-8 for example. It is a familiar passage, but I imagine you have never read it in the manner I'm about to show you. (As a reminder, "charity" is another word for "love".)

4 Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up,

Hate is impatient, is hurtful and harsh; hate resents others success; hate boasts and brags, is prideful.
 
Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil;

Hate behaves indecently, looks out for himself, is easily provoked to anger, thinks evil of everyone before thinking any good.

Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth;

 Hate exults at wickedness, but deplores truth;

Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.

Hate gives up, discredits all things, distrusts all things, despairs in all things. 

Charity never faileth: 

Hate fails.

When you look at the qualities of love from the "flip side" it brings a whole new understanding to the passage. Instead of saying, "Sure, I'm long suffering. I'm kind. I don't envy and am not prideful," we must think to ourselves, "Ooh, I was impatient with the kids this morning. Ouch, I spoke harshly to my husband last night. I did think I should have gotten a 'Good job!' on the project instead of my co-worker; after all, I work longer than she does and I have more experience." And so the new conversation could go throughout the rest of the passage.

Next time you are reading your Bible, think about the "flip side". Don't allow yourself to be deceived into thinking you "have arrived" in your spiritual walk. 

Galatians 6:3 For if a man think himself to be something, when he is nothing, he deceiveth himself.

Galatians 6:7 Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap.

No comments: